- To develop your drawing and painting skills and use of the visual elements
- To develop your design and problem solving skills
- To develop your analytical skills and use of different techniques
- To become confident in your art skills and produce work of the highest possible quality
- To be confident in discussing pieces of art and forming opinions.
- In S3 pupils will continue to explore the visual elements (line, tone, shape, form, colour, texture and pattern) and using a variety of media and craft techniques.
- In S4 students will progress onto National Qualifications at National 4 or National 5. N4 and N5 courses consist of exactly same quantity of work but N5 will sit an additional written exam based on Art & Design Studies.
- By the end of S4, students will have completed two wide ranging units of work:
- Expressive unit of work (painting, drawing, developing compositions).
- Design unit of work (researching a brief, developing concepts, exploring materials).
- Expressive work will usually centre on Still life, Portrait or Built environment painting. Design work usually centres on Product, Jewellery or Fashion Design.
- Art studies will prepare pupils for a written Final Exam at N5 Level only, studying the lives and work of artists and designers.
- Homework will be given regularly to improve skills.
In S4 assessments will be based on a series of Learning Outcomes for each unit
and the Practical Activity at the end of the course: Internal Assessment – this applies for all three levels, National 3, National 4 and National 5. Each of the two units will be assessed internally through end of unit assessments. These will be moderated by the Scottish Qualifications Authority. Final External Exam – this only applies to National 5 and will take the form of an external written exam at the end of S4.
Core Skills Involved: Communication and Literacy, Problem Solving
Careers subject is involved in:
- Professional Artist
- Graphic Design
- Product Design
- Theatrical Design
- Fashion Design
- T.V. & the Media
- Studio Ceramics
- Glass Design
- Interior Design
- Town Planning Publishing
- Video & Film
- Electronic Imaging
- Packaging Design
- Industrial Design
- CA D
- Textile Design
- Art Therapist